Çatalhöyük or Çatal Höyük (pronounced "cha-tal hay OOK") is an ancient neolithic city located in south central Turkey. It is important because it marks the transition from exclusively hunting and gathering to domestication of plants and animals and tells us a lot about prehistory. Along with Jericho, it represents early neolithic communities currently under excavation and study.
Here are some resources to help with that understanding.
- The Çatalhöyük Research Project is a terrific site with images, maps and essays. The most interesting is the belief that religion may have originated at Çatalhöyük. That belief comes from the discovery of female figurines.
- Khan Academy has a good site with background background.
- Finally, here are three clips.
- First is a short seven minute clip that introduces the Neolithic site.
- Second, you can watch a sixteen minute clip that goes into even more detail.
- Old Dominion University has a terrific 3D animation which you cal also see below.