Monday, July 18, 2016

Rethink the Lecture

Rethink the lecture!

Studies show that our brain waves flatline when we listen to lectures.

Dr. Matthew Stoltzfus, a chemistry professor at Ohio State University, argues that we need a revolution in education that moves us away from the "mere transference of information."

But he cautions that technology in and of itself might not be the answer.  He notes, for example, that the technology that uses flipped videos based on models, first developed by Sal Khan, are still lectures.

Instead, Stoltzfus argues that we should only use technology when it's necessary for student learning and stimulates discussion and increases brainwave activity?

Here's Dr. Stoltzfus' engaging fourteen minute TedEd talk. My thanks to Jeff Feinstein for sending me the link.

2 comments:

Diane said...

As an auditory learner, I have always enjoyed lectures. I find that listening and taking notes by hand is my preferred learning style. As a former teacher, I know that the emphasis is on participatory learning, but I have to say that I still find lectures the most efficient and, for me, the most preferable way of learning.

Hannah Baker said...

free online education portal are always flexible for time schedule.